Wednesday, September 10, 2014

11 years later...

And Odd Thomas is still one of my favorite book characters ever, possibly the favorite.  On a whim back in 2003 in a discount book store I picked up a hard cover copy of Odd Thomas (which totally got lost after we flooded *sad face*).  I knew nothing of the book only that I had just read "Whispers" my first Koontz novel and really liked it, disturbing as it was.  I never, EVER expected to like this character so incredibly much.  He is witty and funny and relatable and quirky...oh and he sees dead people.  After reading Odd Thomas, I so happy that I took a chance on a $2.00 book and got to experience this story.  At that time I had no idea it would be a series.  Imagine my surprise when I saw that Forever Odd was coming out.  I've read every single one since.  Always, always craving more from my favorite paranormal sensing sassy friend.  I've even seen the movie which I wish more would have seen because honestly I thought it was quite good.  My husband who has not read any of the books really liked it.  Well until the end when he looked over at me and I was all teary eyed and he said "OMG that was so sad, I wasn't expecting that!!!"  And then he wanted to know what happens next *smile*.  I think I created a new Odd Thomas fan *whoohoo*.

Yesterday I was relaxing on my couch and I checked my email.  I (don't be shocked) am on the Dean Kootz fan mail list thingy.  So I get updates on all his new books.  I saw "SAINT ODD is coming..." whoohooo, new Odd Thomas book.  Then I opened it and saw "The end is his beginning".  What...what....what...no...nooooo....really...*shocked*.  I knew it would be ending eventually but, but, this can't be the last book... *internal sobbing*.  

Like I said clearly this series was coming to an end soon but I am not ready to say goodbye.  Other series I love have ended and although I was sad to finish them, I was okay with it.  I really don't want to say goodbye to Odd.  If Odd was real, I really think we could be BFF's (is that weird?  I feel like that's weird).  And the book comes out around my anniversary so I am sure hubs will not appreciate me getting lost in a book at that time. 

Once I read the final chapter I will post a review (on the other blog) of my thoughts on all of the Odd Thomas books, I am sure of it.  Maybe I'll call it "typing through tears" because regardless of the ending I think I am going to be sad *sniffle*.


No comments: