Thursday, April 21, 2016

Okay 2016, I have had enough!!!

Is this what getting older means?!?!?!  It means all of my idols, childhood crushes, favorite celebs, etc. are f**king dying.   I know Prince was around way before I knew who he was but he shaped my generation just as much.  1999 was our anthem!  I say this because I was the class of 1999.  This song was literally our anthem!  So much talent.  So many amazing songs.  A true artist.  And now he's gone.  He was 57 years old.  Whatever the cause comes out to be, this is tragic. 

I was all over SE LA so I couldn't collect my thoughts until late.  I was getting in my car to go to another customer when a heartbroken T-pot came on B-97 during the iPod shuffle and broke the news.  I hadn't received a news alert yet so I was completely shocked.  I thought, "No way!  He isn't that old.  This is CLEARLY a hoax".  But it wasn't.  B-97 did the awesome thing and dedicated the iPod Shuffle to the legend that was Prince.  They only played 5 songs but it was enough to make me want to go find my old CDs.  I know I have some.  Sadly, my CASSETTE tapes are obsolete and drowned in the flood anyway (stop laughing).  Because I for SURE had Prince on tape.  Of course I did, he's f**king Prince!!!! 

Anyway, my heart was broken into a million little pieces...AGAIN.  Hearing any one of his songs brings back a FLOOD of memories.   I remember where I was, what I was doing, who I was with.  That's just me.  I have a weird connection to music.  I mean I know many are like this as well but not all my friends/family are so they don't usually get my nostalgia when an artist like this leaves us so suddenly. 

I just can't believe another icon is gone.  I'm probably gonna watch the Superbowl half time show at least one more time and listen to his songs.  Some say its really $hitty to binge after they die when you could have enjoyed them when alive or whatever. I think that's jerkhole statement.  It's not that we didn't appreciate them in life, its that we are honoring them in death.  You don't have to blast about someone everyday to have an appreciation for them.  So quit being a tw@t and let me bask in the memories created by his music.

"This is what it sounds like when doves cry"

No comments: